Special Scholarship Opportunity For Children of a Deceased Parent

Written by  //  03/24/2009  //  College Financial Aid, Scholarships  //  37 Comments

College bound students who have lost at least one parent are often at a financial disadvantage when it comes to paying for their education. With one parent left to provide their educational needs, some students are unable to attend college because family finances are stretched too thin.

Getting Held When The Need Is There

Many students are able to work their way through college, getting a degree over many years of balancing work with their classes. But, one nonprofit graduationorganization has decided to offer a scholarship to as many as 45 students, if these applicants submit either a 500-word essay or 3-minute video describing how the death of a parent or guardian has impacted their lives, both financially and emotionally.

“Paying for college is a challenge for most families, but it becomes infinitely more difficult when a parent dies at an early age,” said Marvin Feldman, CLU, ChFC, RFC, president and CEO of the LIFE Foundation. “Through the LIFE Lessons scholarship program, the LIFE Foundation is able to help deserving young people in these difficult situations achieve their dream of higher education and realize their full potential.”

How to Apply

The LIFE Lessons scholarship program is open to young people between ages 17 and 24 who have experienced the death of a parent or legal guardian and are currently enrolled in, or been accepted to, a college, university or trade school. The deadline for all scholarship applications is April 17.

In all, 45 scholarships will be awarded, 39 in the essay category and 6 in the video category. LIFE will award four $5,000 grand prize scholarships. In the video category, one $5,000 grand prize scholarship will be determined by a public, online vote that will take place on LIFE’s website beginning on or around June 15, 2009. The remaining $40,000 in scholarship money will be awarded in the form of 40, $1,000 runner-up scholarships.

More information about the LIFE Lessons scholarship program, including submission guidelines, rules and a listing of past winners, is available at www.lifehappens.org/scholarship. Questions regarding the LIFE Lessons Scholarship Program should be emailed to scholarship@lifehappens.org.

Other Scholarship Opportunities

Prospective college students are urged to explore all of their scholarship opportunities now in order to be eligible for as many awards as possible.  Perform a scholarship search today to find financial aid that is free and highly valuable.

37 Comments on "Special Scholarship Opportunity For Children of a Deceased Parent"

1. Michell 12/29/2009 at 8:49 am ·

Are these Scholarships available in 2010?
    Please let me know, our Father passed away 3 months ago.
    Michell

2. Matthew C. Keegan 12/29/2009 at 2:07 pm ·

Michell, I am sorry for your loss. I cannot say at the moment if this scholarship is being renewed for 2010 or if something will take its place. I’m keeping my eye on this opportunity and will explore other options available for people in your situation.

In any case, always apply for other scholarships as your chances of receiving financial aid will increase if you take the time to fill out relevant applications and send that information in before the deadline.

3. Jan 01/18/2010 at 8:09 pm ·

This is a very caring and generous scholarship. It would definitely alleviate the financial struggles of a student of a single parent. Please email me if you decide to sponsor this scholarship again this year, 2010.

4. Sarah 01/27/2010 at 9:52 am ·

Please let me know if the scholarship is available for 2010 as well. Thank you

5. Matthew C. Keegan 01/27/2010 at 11:31 am ·

Will do, Sarah. We anticipate that an update will be forthcoming in March. If so, we will publish that information here.

6. Vicki Talton 01/31/2010 at 8:27 pm ·

A friend told me about your site and you don’t know how good it feels to know that there are people everywere who really do care. My son Scotty is our only boy, we have 4 girls also but he is the youngest. He is now a sophomore At A&M College Station Texas. Last February My husband passed away suddenly of a rare heart attack, he was only 59. He had just retired from PISD after 34 years of teaching and a basketball coach for our High School for 27 years. Life was really just begining again. I also work at our High School in the attendance office so education has always been top priority in our family. Life is very hard still, being without my husband and Scotty without his dad. Last year I could hardly think straight and I really should have applied for Scholarships sooner, but just trying to survive was a challenge. Please let me know when we can apply for your schloarships as soon as I can for his next year. Thank you so much for your time, With all my heart Vicki

7. Matthew C. Keegan 02/01/2010 at 12:19 pm ·

Hi Vicki, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and the father of your children. I can certainly understand how challenging these times are for you and your family.

You can apply for scholarships at any time of the year, although right now there seems to be many more opportunities coming up. Please take a look at our college scholarship page for search information. When we learn of something specific, we will post that information here too. I expect over the coming weeks we will target specific opportunities, but don’t wait for those. If you find something now, please have your son apply.

I know a number of our readers have asked about this particular opportunity. I believe they will offer something again this coming academic year, but please apply elsewhere too. The competition has been heating up, but there is money available for those who search diligently for the same.

8. Maddie 02/01/2010 at 1:57 pm ·

Hi I was wondering if this scholarship was renewed for the 2010 fall school year. My mother died when I was only two years old of Leukemia. I have two older brothers, 21 and 24, but my dad can’t afford for me to go to college since he has so much debt and loans for my brother who is graduating this year and wont be able to take over his loans. In that case I have to wait three years to start college. I was hoping this scholarship was still avaliable so I have a chance at college. Thanks so much! It means so much that there are people out there that are not just looking out for themselves! God bless.

9. Zarie 02/14/2010 at 4:48 pm ·

I was very pleased to have found this scholarship program. I am 21 years old and my father was murdered when I was only 3. He active duty in the amry reserves and fought in the Gulf War, but because he was murdered in an incident non-related to the army, I don’t qualify for the GI scholarships. I find this really frustrating because my mother is on disability and I really have no other means to pay for school. I work full time, but I also have bills. I would really appreciate it if you would also email me if this scholarship becomes available in 2010. If anyone else reads this and can offer advice, anything will help and certainly be appreciated. Thank you

10. GERREA 02/15/2010 at 2:55 pm ·

Just like many others listed above, I to lost a parent when I was six years old. My dad was killed by a many who had already shot him one week prior to killing him. Still today, I am in counseling trying to understand how people could be so cruel. My mother does the best she can do with me and my sister, but it is really a struggle with her finacially and only one income.She has made it perfectly clear that we will go to college and finish one way or another. I have applied for many scholarships hoping to get money for college. Please keep me posted if this program will be given away scholarships. Thanks so much Gerrea.

11. Amanda 02/23/2010 at 3:40 pm ·

Like a lot of people listed above, I have lost a parent. My mom died just last Friday at the age of 48. She didn’t have life insurance, and left us kids with basically nothing. If there is a scholarship to help with something like this (like this site proposes), I’d love to apply.

12. Jeanne 02/24/2010 at 1:58 pm ·

I lost my dad almost 7 years ago when I was almost 11, was curious how to actually apply for this, as well as what the essay requirements are… if someone could please let me know it would be fantastic.

13. Kristina 02/24/2010 at 10:52 pm ·

I’m 25 years old and was really close with my mom when she passed, even though I was four. She taught me a lot, the most of which is to love no matter what. After losing her (she was 31) to an anurism and abuse by my father, I stayed with my father until I was seven with my brother who was two years younger than me. Luckily, when the police (being in and out of my house that whole time) didn’t respond to the abuse we indured, my first actual step mom (my father’s 9th girlfriend since my mom’s death) took my brother and I to DHS. Luckily I stayed close with my foster family and my foster family fought for me to be with my mom’s mom when it was unheard of to be back with blood at anytime. Even with my brother and I being seperated, beyond my family’s love and pushing to get him as well, we are still best friends.
    I truly believe it’s because of what I said before, the love my mom instilled in me that made believe to above everything, love all. Everyone is amazed when they hear that I even lost her, and I talk about her daily with everyone. Many memories and memory building with my family has helped – but knowing she’s always with me in my life has been the best. There are rough days, I won’t deny that – like me having to wait for college until I turned 25 (which actually happens 06/10) because of my circumstances, and just outright wishing I had a mom when things go on medically that I don’t want to burden my massive family with – or even just to be able to hug her or have a cup of tea listening to Air Supply (something I’ve been assured we’d do).
    But all in all, I know I’m loved and am now looking at going into the same field as she was in – nursing. <3

After all of this, a law change when I got out of school as far as needing “parent’s tax info” which wasn’t something I could provide due to all of my weird circumstances (after my Gram adopted me, I moved in with my Aunt and Uncle but everything was always paid with my mom’s SS) kept me from going to school until Fall 2010. My father also took my mom’s life ins policy that was strictly in my name claiming he was using it for utilities. However, he never did – but beyond that he didn’t pay it back by the time I turned 18 like he was court ordered to (still looking at that). I’m still searching for ways to help me complete school financially. Thank you for granting me the opportunity for such things with these scholarships.

14. Eddie 03/02/2010 at 1:08 pm ·

I lost my father in 2002, I’m a senior now. I was left with nothing, and I’m wondering how to apply for this scholarship. any help will be greatly appreciated.

15. christie 03/04/2010 at 12:06 pm ·

I also have lost a parent at the age of 8, and am having great difficulty with paying for college. I would love for this scholarship to be given another chance to touch more lives.

16. Matthew C. Keegan 03/04/2010 at 12:15 pm ·

To all: According to the site the 2010 LIFE Lessons Scholarship Program will soon get underway. “We will start to accept applications on March 15th 2010. The deadline to submit the application will be on April 15th 2010. Please check back during this time to apply online or download an application.”

I am closing this thread to encourage everyone to go over to the site for more information. Thank you.

17. Alexis 04/23/2010 at 4:40 pm ·

I really wish I would have saw this before April 15th! Ughh, this frustrates me because my dad passed away when I was 7 and I applied for Financial Aid, and they are pretty much telling me I am not eligible for much. I’m not even eligible for a pell grant. My mom is a teacher, and doesn’t make much money, so it’s like I’ll be living on my own. I really wish there was a way for me to receive more help! I apply for all the scholarships I can, and it seems pointless now. Please let me know if this goes on again next year because I could really use the help.

Thank you!

18. Matthew 05/14/2010 at 10:13 pm ·

My dad was murdered by his best friend (my mom’s cousin) on Nov. 21, 2007. He loaned this man money because he was in financial trouble. He promised he would pay my dad back when he sold his business, but instead he murdered my dad and brought my brother to find his bullet ridden body. I was a senior at the time but the trauma hit me even harder last year when I was a freshman in college. I was depressed but didn’t want my mom to know, I didn’t want her to worry anymore. I almost failed out of school, but with help and support, I am doing better. We are struggling financially and the money that dad lent this man was supposed to help my brother and I through college. I will find some way to get the $ I need and this site has given inspiration. I know it is too late this year, but I would like to be informed if this opportunity exists next year. Thanks for listening and caring.

19. Lydia 07/30/2010 at 9:09 am ·

I am researching scholarships for my daughter, her father my husband was murderd in 1996, when she was three years old. She wants to go to college and I am not able to do it financially. Please let me know where I can find a full scholarship to help her futher her education. Thank you in advance.

20. LENEL SCOTT 07/30/2010 at 12:30 pm ·

My father was shot on my 16th birthday. My father told me that I had to wait until I turned 16 to have a boyfriend I have a boyfriend but do not have a daddy. My daddy always said my birthday was the best day of his life and it is the worst day of my life.

21. Angelia Vandver-Wright 09/21/2010 at 11:41 am ·

I am interested in looking into this scholarship. My daughter is graduating this year at sixteen. She has worked very hard and through her school has been able to take college classes for a smaller amount of money. Her father died 5 days after her 3rd birthday and 5 days before Christmas. So that was a struggle for us every year. I am wanting to get her a great education so any and all help is appreciated. God Bless organizations like yours and all the people above who have lost someone too. Thanks.

22. Stacey 10/28/2010 at 9:37 pm ·

Will this scholarship be renewed in 2011? I will be going to college in Fall 2011 and will need as much financial help as I can possibly find. My mom died of a massive heart attack, right in front of me, in 2007. I am a senior now and we just had our Senior Night for Fall Sports. It killed me not having my mom there to appreciate that special moment with me. I have other events in my life that my mom won’t be able to share with me. Please let me know if this scholarship will be available for the Class of 2011. Thanks, Stacey

23. Denise Kruszewski 11/02/2010 at 1:32 pm ·

My husband passed away 7 months ago and I would love to know if this scholarship will be renewed for 2011. My daughter will be attending college in the Fall and we have a serious money situation right now with no income coming in. Please let me know if this scholarship will be available for the class of 2011. Thank you, Denise K.

24. Curtrese Lockhart 11/15/2010 at 8:51 pm ·

Where do I send the essay in order to apply for this scholarship?

25. Linda M 11/18/2010 at 1:32 pm ·

My daughter will be starting college in the fall 0f 2011…Is this scholarship still available? We lost her Dad in 2004, and this would be of great assistance.

26. Alexandria Lewis 01/23/2011 at 7:05 pm ·

I am not only a student who has lost her Father to Alzheimer Disease, I was also adopted by my parents. My Mom is now 70 years young and I have been accepted to Baylor University to study toward Frensic Pathology. I would appreciate any information that will help be secure financial aid. Thank you.

Trackbacks for this post

1. SayCampusLife - MyBlogLog
  2. Search: financial aid for children with deceased parent - Insight
  3. Special Scholarship Opportunity For Children of a Deceased Parent - SayCampusLife
  4. scholarships for kids with deceased parent - Dogpile Web Search
  5. The Best of 2009
  6. Mrs. Newborn
  7. Scholarships For Children Of Deceased Parents- Askkids.com
  8. Leaving Facebook... | Facebook
  9. LIFE Lessons Scholarship Program Announces Finalists
  10. Death of a Parent Scholarship
  11. LIFE Foundation Announces 2010 Scholarship Recipients

Comments are now closed for this article.