All it takes is a quick glimpse on social media to see that people are going all out when it comes to this these days. It makes sense when it comes down to it, as this is going to be a space where you will be nearly every day, so you want it to look great but be comfortable as well. After all, you&’re just trying to survive college! Are you lacking inspiration or guidance? Read on for some tips on how to spruce up your dorm room to make it feel “homey”.
This is a no-brainer, as not only do you likely want to have some things that you remind you of home up in your room but it’s also an easy way to make it cute and comfy. You can make a collage, string them across your wall with clothespins, or just add them in frames. Whatever you choose, these will surely put a smile on your face … even during finals. Eric Long of innovative beach accessory company, Slippa, says that he had a hard time leaving his family dog when he went to college, so his mom framed a giant photo of him for his wall. Say it with us: “Awww.”
Go For a Theme If Possible
If you don’t know your roommate, creating a theme might be a challenge. If you do know who you’ll be living with, however, you might get together and at least create a color theme. Go for bright colors to elevate your mood, adding accents like cheeky pillows, wall accents, and/or colorful, beanbag-like ottomans. You don’t have to have matching comforter sets by any means—in fact, it might actually look better if you don’t. But if you have an overall color theme for the room it’ll go a long way in making your dorm room feel more like home.
As everyone knows, space is a commodity in dorm rooms. Another thing many of us know is that clutter can wreak havoc on our moods, ability to focus, and even creativity. So you’ll have to think outside the box (pun intended!) when it comes to storage. North Caroline State University senior Katie Hendrix got so creative that she told HGTV she stacked a TV on top of a microwave using milk crates. She also turned her bed into a loft so she could put a futon underneath for lounging. This is homey, indeed, and just what you want when you need to retreat from campus life.
Let There Be Light
One of the things that people love so much about the holidays is the addition of the lights. It’s hard to be in a bad mood when you see a beautifully lit home at that time of year. Decorators have caught onto this phenomenon and it’s not uncommon to see rooms strung with twinkle lights. And if you go on—you guessed it—Pinterest, you’ll plenty of ways to hang them so that the room has a super homey vibe. The other good thing about this is a lot of dorm rooms aren’t very well lit so this will help with that.
Okay, okay, we know this sounds ridiculous but there is something so soothing about a nice, comfy throw blanket. Luckily there are a ton of stylish options for those of us who feel this way. They also come in a plethora of colors so you’ll definitely be able to find something to match your dorm room motif. Walk into any Home Goods or Z Gallerie and fuzzy throw blankets abound. Don’t forget to bring them home for Mom to wash over break!
Candles or Essential Oils
There are a ton of health benefits to using essential oils. For instance, you might put a few drops of lavender in your diffuser to relieve stress when you have exams. Candles are also very rejuvenating, although you’ll need to check your dorm policy on those—and exercise caution!
Going away to college—especially if it’s your first time—can be very daunting but follow these tips and your dorm room will feel like home away from home.
- Widely Used: This 2m USB light strip is ideal for TV background lighting, make your home like theater. Also can easily install as under cabinet light, mirror light, or any mood light. You can use your imagination to use the RGB light strip anyway, anytime.
- Multi-colored: USB controller have 3 switch (MODE/ SPEED/LIGHT COLOR), you can change flash mode, lighting speed or color you want. Easy and smart.
- USB-Powered and Easy to Use: Powered by any devices with output 5V USB port, just plug in an USB Port such as your computer, laptop and car charger. You can also take it outside with your portable charger.
- DIMMABLE & MEMORY FUNCTION: 7 dimming levels are controlled by a simple touch sensitive panel, which is great because you can dim the light to find the perfect brightness level for your situation, such as Reading, Studying, Relaxing and Sleeping. Also, the lamp will automatically resume the brightness setting of the previous use when restarted.
- ADJUSTABLE & STURDY: With a 270 rotatable lamp head, 150 adjustable arm and 340 revolvable base, the lamp is able to reach just about almost every position you can imagine. And thanks to the built-in base stabilizer, the lamp base will stay sturdy when you adjusting its angle.
- EYE-FRIENDLY: The light source of desk lamp is non-flicking LEDS and the lamp is powered by direct current and covered by opacified PC diffusion cover, so it emits even, flicker-free and non-glare light, which is soft on your eyes and avoids eye fatigue caused by flickering light and harsh glare effectively.
- For TV background lighting to create an ambiance and improve TV watching experience.
- Alleviate your eye strain in dark room, and suitable for use as accenting lighting in cabinet and shelf.
- Plug-n-Play quick install, adhesive tape on the back, perfect for DIY projects.
Last update on 2018-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API