It’s important to maintain an open and liberated environment for your students to grow, but that also makes them prime targets for criminals. Fortunately, there are a number of ways you can improve the security of your campus without making it feel oppressive. Here are four steps you can take.
Educate Students on Campus Safety
While administrators can beef up security and implement new technologies to boost the safety of their campus, one of the best courses of action is to make sure your students practice vigilance. The National Crime Prevention Council has put together a list of safe protocol your students can follow. These include common behaviors like walking and parking only in brightly lit locations and wearing comfortable shoes. Making a safety procedure a part of your student orientation can go a long way towards maintaining a culture of sensible behavior.
Installing Security Devices
Security guards can only be in so many places at once, and improving the technology on your campus can help you make more effective use of your resources. Companies like alltechradio.com have demonstrated the value that modern security technology can provide. Devices like visible cameras can even serve as a deterrent, preventing criminals from engaging in crimes in the first place. A NYC two way radio installer, or one from wherever you live, can significantly increase the capacity for your security teams to communicate.
Improving Your Security Services
Campus security should serve as a student resource, and that means making sure that they have services available to them when they feel unsafe. Offering free transportation on nights and during weekends and maintaining routine patrols of residence halls can go a long way towards fostering a sense of security among your students.
It’s also important that students know how to access resources. Post emergency numbers prominently throughout campus so that everyone knows how they can get in touch with campus security. Also make sure to install and maintain call boxes throughout your campus.
Maintaining Your Campus
Inviting and brightly lit spaces can be a major deterrent to criminals, and active living spaces can further discourage unsavory activities. Make sure that all of your public spaces are well lit and that you have systems in place to replace blown bulbs expediently. Encouraging regular campus activities can create a better sense of community and make your students feel more comfortable with their neighbors. If students know the people in their campus neighborhood, they’ll be better equipped to identify when something is out of the ordinary.
Ultimately, maintaining a sense of security on campus requires everyone to work hand in hand. Communicate with your teaching staff, students, and administrators to get a better feel for the concerns they have, and put together a policy that reflects their needs.
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- Super loud survival whistle: double tubes emergency whistle can provide up to 120 decibels, enough to be heard at long distance.
- Premium Quality: Aluminum Alloy Material, strong and durable.
- Lightweight: only 12g, easy to carry.
- 6 ITEM BUNDLE: Includes 3 All Weather Storm American Made Whistles with 3 Koala Quick Release Sports Safety Lanyards
- WORLD'S LOUDEST WHISTLE: Tested in excess of 120 Decibles | Heard over a quarter of a mile through trees and over half a mile over water | Even works...
- WORKS UNDERWATER: Great for scuba diving, boating, watersports, and water rescue | Can be heard over 50 feet away underwater | Used by military & law...
- Louder Sound,double tubes can provide up to 150 decibels,can be heard for far distance.
- Strong and Durable,stainless steel material ensures the whistle durable
- Good Environmental adaptability - The whistle has no built-in pea ,so it will not mold and breed bacteria because of the pea.You can use it in any...
- Made from high impact Plastic, lightweight, waterproof, durable and non corrodible.
- Two chamber design, it's easier to Emits a shrill, high-pitched sound
- High Power, enough to be heard at long distances
- Quantity:20 pcs safety survival whistles with lanyard in 2 colors, 10 pieces in each color.
- Quality whistles: this set of whistles is made of good quality plastic, very lightweight, sturdy and durable to use. Double tube design，each whistle...
- Conspicuous colors: these whistles are in 2 conspicuous colors, red and orange, very bright, can attract others' attention outside, help you to be...
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API