Do you remember that day you woke up and found pulling the duvet over your head to be more satisfying than attending that boring lecture? You promised yourself to review the class notes. Did you do it satisfactorily? It is understandable that there is no fun in attending lectures on a winter morning, right?
Students who do not value lectures never lack excuses to skip them. They copy notes from others, check the slides that the lecturer uploads on the student portal, and maybe check the lecturer’s YouTube videos if there are any. However, there is no substitute for attending lectures.
Benefits of attending lectures
1. Lectures teach concentration
One of the reasons students find lectures to be boring is because, to benefit from a lecture, you need to concentrate. Otherwise, you will get lost. Concentration is an important life skill; you will need it in your career and in your interactions with others.
You can make your classes more fun by establishing a note-taking system that works for you (not just copying). Use your own words, layouts, and colors.
2. Attending lectures saves time
Attending lectures helps you cut down on study time. Lecturers always explain concepts in simple terms. They give additional clarification and insights. Reading notes by yourself could make some simple ideas appear complicated because you do not have the opportunity to hear someone else say it differently.
Lectures give you a chance to interact with the professor and fellow students. Your lecturer will make helpful comments on the term dates, projects, events, websites, and assignments. Some of these things will not be in the course outline. You will also learn so much from your fellow students because they will explain concepts in simple terms.
4. Lectures enhance critical thinking skills
Lecturers encourage class participation by asking questions. That way, they teach you how to interpret what you have learned in different ways, and how to apply the acquired knowledge during exams.
5. Taking your own notes is more helpful than copying from someone else
When making your own notes, you will be in a position to highlight ideas and frame them in the way you understand them best. You will also be able to identify which areas will need special attention after the lecture.
Attending lectures is crucial as it sharpens the skills you will need once you are out of college while making seemingly complex ideas simpler. Most likely, when you skip lectures, you end up regretting after doing nothing constructive during those two hours you have ‘spared.’
If you are a student, or you are planning to go back to school, follow this link. It will help you understand where your current attitude (whether positive or negative) towards attending lectures might land you.
Share this article on your social media sites, and with your school friends to encourage them to attend lectures. Encouraging your school friends to attend lectures is also beneficial to you as you will help each other in learning.
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual-Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz) | 4GB DDR4 Memory | 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display | AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, 2 - USB 2.0 Ports & 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Clean, elegant design - thin and light, starting at just 2.76 pounds, Surface Laptop 2 fits easily in your bag
- Choose from rich tone-on-tone color combinations: Platinum, Burgundy, and Cobalt Blue
- Improved speed and performance to do what you want, with the latest 8th Generation Intel Core processor
- Backed by the best of Microsoft, including Windows
- Designed for Windows 10 s
- Natural typing and trackpad experience
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API