Tips on raising a dog as a college student
continued from part 1
To some college students, raising a dog of any breed can appear difficult on the surface. Especially considering that the other categories on this list have a very “fixed” or settled way of life, while college students can have a somewhat busy, yet flexible schedule.
Due to this type of living arrangement, it may appear that the list of possible dog breeds are endless. But I still recommend that thorough research be made in selecting the perfect dog for both you and your schedule.
Here are the best tips on how to raise and care for a dog as a college student.
If you have a high energy dog, be sure to put them on a fixed walking schedule.
Even if you are on a fixed schedule, and you take your dog out to use the bathroom in an adequate amount of time throughout today, it seems like it is never enough. You may ask why. Well, because the more you take your dog outside, evidently the more they will want to go – rather than enjoy their current time out there, because they know it will not be long.
Don’t waste your dogs time, and more importantly, don’t waste their energy. Let them be playful, take them out frequently and let them walk around, but do it throughout your week on a fixed routine. That way they know when they can go. Over time they’ll lose the excitement to explore outside all the time.
If you have a low energy dog, don’t force them to play with other dogs or go outside consistently.
Since you have adopted a low energy dog (or perhaps a dog that just seems to not be as playful) be sure to let them get enough rest. If you attend classes throughout the day, then of course they will get plenty of rest.
But be sure to take them out as well, just not as much. Perhaps the best time to take your low energy furry pal outside to use the bathroom and possibly play and get some much needed exercise is when they absolutely wish to go outside and explore.
Make sure your dog doesn’t get lonely while you are gone.
Obviously, leaving your dog alone for long amounts of time is not a good idea, even if they show signs of needing less attention. This issue does not certainly mean to rush and receive another dog to help keep your dog happy, (although if you are able to, this can seem to be a good idea in the long run), but whenever you can, check on your dog, even throughout your busy schedule. You should really never miss the chance to comfort or check in on them.
This idea of checking up on your dog may seem exhausting at first, but over time you will appreciate how it has helped alter your dog’s overall attitude and behavior.
Do you have a busy friend, or perhaps a college roommate suggesting a dog as a pet? Don’t forget to share this article to help them out. This article can potentially help more dogs get adopted, and make more dog owners happy.
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler puppy bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up! The raised rim...
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible and finished with faux shag fur, our self-warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother's fur coat! Paired with...
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Available in beautifully natural colors, our pet beds are a seamless addition to any room's décor! And because they're finished...
- Perfect for cuddling: the FurHaven two-tone faux fur & suede chaise pet bed features an L-shaped Dual-bolster design that gives your pup the...
- Plush sleep surface: The luxuriously plush faux fur fabric that lines the sleep surface is gentle on noses and paws, embracing your sleepy pup in...
- Easy on joints: The deep, convoluted ('egg crate') orthopedic foam base soothes pressure points and aids in improving circulation for a more restful...
- Plush gray Ombré Swirl deluxe dog bed & cat bed | Pet bed fits 24L" dog crates & works great as a stand-alone bed
- Ideal pet bed for small dog breeds & cats between 11 - 25 pounds | Pet bed measures approximately 21L x 17W x 1.75H - Inches
- Ultra-soft synthetic dog & cat bed | "Non-skid" grip on the bottom of the pet bed works great on hardwood or tile floors
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Furhaven Luxe Lounger features a contoured design that cuddlers will absolutely love! The open sleep surface gives pets...
- SLEEP SURFACE: Ultra plush faux fur runs along the contoured sleep surface of the lounger. The material is absolutely gentle on noses and paws,...
- EASY ON JOINTS: The dense medical-grade foam is contoured into an ergonomic form factor that cradles your pet's body to provide superior therapeutic...
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API