First Look at 2012 College Commencement Speakers
Tassle-turning time approaches for this year’s grads.
Starting the end of this month, colleges and universities across the nation will hold spring commencement exercises. The University of Michigan is one school that sends its graduates off early and this year Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN chief medical correspondent and Michigan alumnus will deliver the commencement address on April 28. SayCampusLife brings to you the first group of commencement speakers, with one or more follow ups coming to cover ceremonies held much later this spring.
1. Adrian College — Michigan’s Adrian College welcomes singer and entertainer Pat Boone to Herrick Chapel, who will be the featured speaker at the college’s spring commencement on April 29. During the 1950s, only Elvis Presley sold more records than Boone, a Christian performer who is also known for his motivational speaking and conservative political advocacy.
2. Union College — This Kentucky college is welcoming one of its own to its commencement ceremony. William T. Trent, Ph.D., and a 1966 Union College grad will be the featured speaker this year. Trent has been part of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign faculty since 1983; his research focuses on education policy, race and equality of opportunity. Union College will hold its commencement ceremony on May 5.
3. High Point University — Former first lady Laura Bush will be the commencement speaker at High Point University’s May 5 graduation exercise. While serving as first lady, Bush advocated for education. Today, she continues to speak out about education, literacy and mentoring, as well as human rights and health care.
4. Virginia Tech — Not one, but two commencement speakers will address Virginia Tech grads at their commencement on May 11. Sen. Mark Warner was already chosen to speak. Now, the university has announced that a second speaker, first lady Michelle Obama, will also be speaking. Mrs. Obama will also speak to grads at North Carolina A&T University and Oregon State University, the latter school where her brother is a basketball coach.
5. Barnard College — Just three days after his wife speaks to Virginia Tech graduates, President Barack Obama will travel to New York to address Barnard. Obama will be the keynote speaker at the school’s 120th commencement ceremony, being held on the south Lawn of Columbia University.
6. Colby College — Maine’s Colby College will be welcoming former British prime minister Tony Blair as the school marks its 191st commencement ceremony on May 19. Blair currently is working with the Palestinians as they prepare for statehood and has also launched a foundation dedicated with promoting respect and understanding between religions.
7. Connecticut College — Louis Susman, the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, will give the keynote address for Connecticut College’s 94th commencement exercises on May 20. Susman’s daughter, Sally, is a 1984 graduate of the college and served on the college’s board of trustees from 2002 to 2011 reports the New London Patch.
Please check back in tomorrow as we bring to you our second group of 2012 commencement speakers to you.
See Also — First Look at 2013 College Commencement Speakers