Even with all those academic waivers, progression discounts and other ways colleges get you to sign on with them – sometimes the only way affordable way for students to pay for their stay is through scholarships.
However, if you happen to be gifted with the ability to be decent at college sports, your opportunity to receive an athletic scholarship just might be your ‘make it or break it’ moment at qualifying for your next degree course.
Being the all-star quarterback of your team is one thing, but it is always necessary that students know what they’re signing up for before applying for an athletic scholarship. Here’s 5 essential facts to take away: –
1. It isn’t just enough to perform on the court
There is a belief among college students and their families that a students’ athletic capabilities alone will secure his future. Not only could that be further from the truth, barely scraping through your classes might mean that you wouldn’t even be looked at in some cases. These colleges and universities are responsible for paying for your lodging, food and other expenses if you’re on a scholarship – so working hard academically isn’t just an added bonus; it’s a necessity.
2. Partial scholarships make up for a lot
It’s always great to aim high, but understand that most student athletes only do get partial assistance. Colleges only issue a fraction of full-ride scholarships to select students, but that doesn’t mean that partials won’t help! Partial scholarships cover a large amount of housing fees, food and overall school supplies; so they’re definitely better than nothing.
3. Be reasonable about your division levels
If you’ve already applied for scholarships at prestigious Division I universities and are not getting much feedback, move down a level. Try for Division II instead! Having a university cover your fees is a big deal –and at the end of the day will look good regardless of which university it may be. If Division I and II don’t seem to be working out either, aim for Division III, who still have their fair share of discounts and aid if you perform well in sports.
4. You have plenty of resources to get what you want; so use them!
Chances are if you’re considering making this huge decision in your life, there’s going to be every available person telling you what to do, qualified or not.
Instead of exhausting yourself with the opinions of every one you meet, reach out to your college’s administration to inquire if they have an athletic representative to talk to. These representatives or coaches will help you narrow down your best course of action, requirements to meet and even universities that might be after what you have to offer. Drop by organizations like this and this for tips and advice on all things related to athletic scholarships.
It takes a special breed of perseverance, strength and discipline to keep up academically and with being an athlete. However, with a huge chunk of your fees taken care of by an athletic scholarship, the payout if you manage to stand your ground is definitely worth it in the end.
Know anyone that might benefit from learning the ropes of college sports and scholarships? Share this over to them right now and do someone you know a solid!
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- Comfortable mattress combines memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel
- A cozy layer of memory foam is quilted in the soft, knit fabric mattress cover
- A 1.5 inch layer of foam beneath the quilted top layer helps to minimize pressure points
- Complete with supportive memory foam topper providing soothing sleeping.
- ideal solution to temporary sleeping accommodations. Perfect for unexpected sleep over guests, dorm rooms, camping and traveling.
- Removable Cover + Zipper System
- Heavy-gauge tempered steel coils provide exceptional support and durability
- Fire resistant barrier meets flammability standards and helps keep your family safe
- Quilted fabric cover and foam layer above the coils offers a layer of cushioning at the surface for more comfort
- Memory foam infused with bamboo charcoal eliminates odors and cradles your body while you sleep
- High-quality transition foam infused with aloe vera creates a calming and relaxing sleep environment that promotes daily freshness
- Enduring and conformable medium-plush support is provided by individually-wrapped, high-quality steel coils
- 5 inch thick memory foam mattress with firm support
- 1 inch comfort layer made of gel-infused memory foam for pressure point relief
- 4 inches of high density base foam for proper back support
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API