While several top-tier schools are taking a stand against crime with emergency alert apps, there are also several options that you can employ on your smartphone or mobile device to fight back as well. Although no one wants to think about being the victim of a crime, utilizing a personal safety app may mean the difference between life and death.
Here are six safety apps that every college student should consider for the new semester:
Imagine that you’re walking to your car alone after a late class. As you exit your building, you notice someone following you. What do you do? SafeSnapp is designed to quickly and reliably turn on and capture photos of your would-be assailant and immediately upload that information to your email, a contact’s email, and SafeSnapp’s servers.
In addition, your current GPS location can be forwarded over to local authorities. While this app may not stop an attack, it does the next-best thing by providing your last known location and a photo of your assailant to your loved ones and the police, giving them a solid lead to start from. SafeSnapp is available for iOS and Android devices for $9.99.
2. Circle of 6
When it comes to crime on campus, getting information out to others quickly is one of the most important things to do. Circle of 6 allows you to identify 6 individuals that can be quickly contacted with pre-written instructions in emergency situations. Anything from "Call 911," to “I’m stranded and need a ride." Circle of 6 can also push a GPS signal with a map of your location, call 911, or sexual abuse hotlines with a push of the button.
3. Drunk Mode
Let’s face it, anyone who thinks that college students aren’t going to drink is simply naive. While you should always drink responsibly, sometimes even those with the best of intentions come up short.
Drunk Mode is an app available for both iPhone and Android users that lets you create a virtual list of "drinking buddies" for a night and will keep track of them throughout the night and into the next morning. This invaluable tool can help you locate your friends, even if you get separated. Drunk mode is available for free on iOS and Google Play.
4. Vivint Sky App
Never enter a dark home again with the Vivint Sky App. Part of the Vivint Smart Home system, the Vivint Sky App works in conjunction with your home security system to operate your lights, thermostat, and alarm remotely.
Get notifications if someone has entered your home instantly, and contact the authorities. Vivint also offers video cameras and doorbell cameras that can be monitored remotely and alert you if anyone approaches your fraternity or sorority house. Vivint Sky is available on iOS and Google Play.
If you are like many college students, night classes can be a convenient way to balance work and school. However, walking alone on campus at night can leave you open to unwanted predators. Once activated, the Companion app streams a live map of your walk to any friends, family, or loved ones that you have assigned as a companion.
While on your walk, if your phone gets dropped, or jostled, the Companion app will ask if you are OK, or if you would like to call the authorities. If you do not respond within 15 seconds, your companions are immediately notified. Companion is available as a free download on both the iTunes and Google Play.
Presence transforms and repurposes your old iPods, phones, and tablets into your own personal home monitoring system. With Presence, you can be alerted to any unusual movement or entry into your apartment or dorm room. Whether you’re worried about potential intruders or suspect that your roommate might be rummaging through your things, Presence is an invaluable app to protect yourself and your belongings. Presence is available for iOS and on Google Play.
Walking around alone on campus doesn’t have to be a terrifying experience. With a variety of apps readily available to you, your college life can feel a lot safer and more secure so you can focus on your studies and not on who might be lurking in the darkness.
- Quantity:20 pcs safety survival whistles with lanyard in 2 colors, 10 pieces in each color.
- Quality whistles: this set of whistles is made of good quality plastic, very lightweight, sturdy and durable to use. Double tube design，each whistle...
- Conspicuous colors: these whistles are in 2 conspicuous colors, red and orange, very bright, can attract others' attention outside, help you to be...
- Super loud survival whistle: double tubes emergency whistle can provide up to 120 decibels, enough to be heard at long distance.
- Premium Quality: Aluminum Alloy Material, strong and durable.
- Lightweight: only 12g, easy to carry.
- 6 ITEM BUNDLE: Includes 3 All Weather Storm American Made Whistles with 3 Koala Quick Release Sports Safety Lanyards
- WORLD'S LOUDEST WHISTLE: Tested in excess of 120 Decibles | Heard over a quarter of a mile through trees and over half a mile over water | Even works...
- WORKS UNDERWATER: Great for scuba diving, boating, watersports, and water rescue | Can be heard over 50 feet away underwater | Used by military & law...
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API