What they do not realize is that it is time for them to prepare for the job market.
You may think that whatever you do after college is all that matters. Yes, it partly does, but the most significant things are those you do while still in college.
That does not mean that you should not have fun. All you need to do it plan your time wisely. Create time for the things that contribute to your career too. Below are some of the things that you should do in college to improve your marketability for jobs.
1. Get good grades.
This is the most crucial step. The first thing every employer looks at is how credit-rich you are. The higher your scores, the more they want you to work for them. Therefore, ace every unit that you can.
Every student can graduate with honors. The amount of time and effort that you put on your studies is all that matters.
Good grades will make your parents proud and give you a more relaxed time looking for a job. What’s more, you can get yourself a scholarship to further your studies!
Visit here to know how you can get good grades.
2. Learn a new skill.
Assume that everyone in a particular job interview has eye-catching credit scores. The employer will look for the one interviewee with an extra skill. So, do not limit yourself. Play a sport, join the drama club or learn how to play a musical instrument. It will be an added advantage.
There are tons of people out there who got their first jobs through networking. Do not be a loner. Talk to professionals in your field of interest. Speak with your school’s alumni, your professors, family, and friends. Maintain a professional relationship with these people. They can help you get those jobs where there is only one position, and the employer chooses not to advertise.
4. Prepare a professional resume.
During your final year, take some time and get a professional resume ready. If you do not know how to come up with one, you can talk to people who have prepared theirs or hire a professional to help you. It will cost you only a few bucks. Include 3-5 professional references as required by most employers.
5. Volunteer and complete internship programs.
Limit yourself to your profession. These programs help you to acquire the experience that most employers need. They also help you in networking.
6. Drop cover letters in different places.
Once you have identified the organizations you would like to work for, and the positions you desire, you can send your cover letters. In fact, it is better to drop them personally and get to interact with the HR. The way you present yourself at this moment matters. So, dress appropriately and be polite.
7. Clean your social media
Your employer might want to see what you post on your social media sites. It is crucial to wipe all inappropriate posts, just in case. You might be the best person for the job offer, but your social media posts can get in the way.
With that, you are ready for the job market. So, why benefit alone? Spread the knowledge to your family and friends by sharing this article. Show them you care by letting them know of how they can prepare for the job market too. They will thank you in future.
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- Build a Professional Resume Fast! The Step-by-step guide will help you create a professional resume that showcases your unique experience and skills
- New! Modern Resume Styles - Choose from 60 styles and customize any style with choice of header, colors, graphics and a photograph
- New! Video Resumes Expert Advice - View Sample Video Resumes and video resume scripts you can customize
- One-Stop Resume Posting Post resumes & track with ResumeMakers Posting Service. Key features include:
- Electronic resume posting - on more than 80 top job search sites. Job notifications by e-mail - of all new job opportunities and job listings based on...
- Massive exposure - to over 1.5 million employers and recruiters. Job search report - of all job banks your resume was posted to. Centralized login -...
- Build a Professional Resume Fast! ResumeMaker's step-by-step guide will help you create a professional resume that showcases your unique experience...
- New! Modern Resume Styles! Choose from over 50 styles and customize any style with choice of header, colors, graphics and a photograph
- 3 Easy & Powerful Ways to Search for Jobs! Whether at home or on-the-go - ResumeMaker makes it easy to search jobs fast
- The Easiest and Fastest Way to Get a Professional Resume! Easy, Step-by-Step Wizards. 1,000 Sample Resumes and Letters. Resumes for 13,000+ Careers....
- Recommended Letters for Email, Fax, and Mail. Responding to Ads. Networking Letters. Initiating Cold Calls, Colleague Referrals, Accept or Negotiate...
- Sample Resumes, Recommended Phrases, 1,000 powerful sample resumes and cover letters, 150,000 pre-written phrases and keywords, Includes resumes for...
- Easy NavigationEvery tool you need to create a professional CV, edit, e-mail, and share your CV on social media is available on the Main Menu.
- Over 200 Sample CVs - Hundreds of Sample PhrasesView Sample CVs and Sample Phrases for ideas and inspiration. Pre-written phrases are provided for CV...
- Create professional cover letters to get the attention of hiring managers. Select from over 200 sample letters.Search millions of jobs instantly....
Last update on 2018-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API