You do not have to work in a big company or to be a student in order to take notes. Notes are helpful even in informal situations like writing down a shopping list. This is because notes are meant to be a summary of information that is intended to be reviewed at a later moment.
Here are steps that you can take in order to make notes efficiently.
#1 Be Prepared
If you are going to attend a meeting or a class, always be prepared to take notes. Carry enough pens and paper for the duration that you will be engaged in writing.
Some people may prefer using electronic devices to take notes. When it comes to gadgets with keyboards, it may seem to the speaker that we are chatting and not paying attention to them. This may lead to the development of a lousy relationship between you and the speaker.
We have also associated our electronics with social media and whatnot thus trying to use them to take notes may be counterproductive as we may be tempted to check our messages and notifications quickly.
When it comes to voice-recording devices, they function well enough but they have one limitation- they lack activity. You can just power up the recorder and sit back! This makes it easy for you to get distracted. U
sing paper, on the other hand, is an activity that requires you to pay constant attention to the speaker lest you miss out on whatever information they are trying to pass across.
#2 Pay Attention
Now that you have your pen and paper ready pay attention to the speaker – do not let your mind wander off. You can do this by developing an
actual interest in the subject at hand. Attention can be maintained by actively participating in the meeting or class. Ask questions. Give comments. Ask for clarifications. All these actions will help you pay attention to the speaker as you will be actively participating in the activity.
Other things that will help you pay better attention to the speaker include switching off your phone and completing urgent tasks before committing yourself to the note-taking session. Go to the bathroom before-hand. Have a snack if you are hungry. If you do not take care of important activities
before-hand, they will distract you and hamper your effectiveness in taking notes.
Continue to Part 2: taking notes effectively
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- 12-pack of 50-page yellow legal pads
- Legal/Wide ruled (11/32-inch spacing) for larger handwriting and easier reading
- 16-pound paper for everyday use
- Enjoy smooth writing paper in a reliable everyday writing pad
- Perforated sheets detach easily to keep notes organized & up to date
- 8-1/2" x 11-3/4"; legal ruled
- 5" x 8" Perforated Legal Pad, Junior size
- 34 lines per page
- Everyday stenos have durable covers in red, black, blue and green
- No-snag coil resists catching on papers or clothing
- Perforated sheets detach easily
- BE BRILLIANT: Prism+ Writing Pads add a little pop of color to your daily tasks; enjoy pretty colors perfect for general daily use, or color code by...
- PORTABALBE & PRACTICAL: 5" x 8" Jr. Legal ruled pads are the perfect size for quick notes at the desktop or on the move; keeps shopping lists, daily...
- GLIDE FROM PAGE TO PAGE: Your favorite ballpoints or gel pens will move smoothly across Prism+ paper, made from 100% recycled fiber with at least 30%...
Last update on 2019-08-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API