If you focus enough, you can just hear your teacher and the words of wisdom shared. “The free time shall be a thing of the past, and lenient rules the stuff of dreams the second you walk down those hallowed campus halls.”
Despite their good intentions and overall accuracies in most wisdom bits they share, some of these tales are not accurate in the least. So, today we take a look at some of the most exaggerated tales and myths that your favorite teacher shared with you about college.
#1. Professors that are Stone-Cold
Again, Professors are human too. As such, it’s untrue that college professors don’t care about individual students due to the large class sizes they teach.
It is certainly true that forming close relationships with college professors is harder as a single class can consist of up to 500 students. Opportunities for closer interactions with college teachers do exist though.
Smaller sized classes – you will definitely attend some before you are done with college – is one such avenue and so are the regular discussion groups present in larger sized classes.
Even with the biggest of class sizes where a lecturer doesn’t know all of you by name, it does not imply that they don’t care about your success. It is a complete falsehood that professors have little regard for relationships with their students and that they make no attempts to foster such relationships.
#2: The Syllabus is King!
Most high school teachers will go on and on about the syllabus and how rigidly it is followed in college. According to some, Professors in many universities don’t even remind you of important term dates like test dates but expect you to be aware of them as they are listed on the syllabus. Most teachers, also, wrongly testify of how rigidly professors stick to the set syllabus and curriculum schedule.
In most cases, however, this is not true. Despite your teachers best efforts to convince you otherwise, syllabi aren’t set in stone. Just as your school teachers did, professors also get suddenly ill, fall behind or make adjustments to the curriculum. Some are more rigid than others of course and try to stick to the set schedule by all means but there is always a little room and flexibility to cater for any unforeseen eventuality.
#3. Your Deadline Extension Requests are Futile
We have all been faced with an unforeseen circumstance that forced us to extend a deadline. Unexpected illnesses, delayed travel schedules and family emergencies are just a few of these circumstances.
Remember that one time you asked your high school teacher with such a request. Yes she agreed to it – most teachers are fair and generous with such extensions by the way – but not without some words of wisdom. Words on how your college professors will grant you no such requests but simply give you a failing grade.
This is, nevertheless, not true! Although each professor is different, they are all just as human as the rest of us. Accordingly, many will consider such a request and grant it if it has merit.
Be advised, however, not to put off your assignments until the very last minute expecting to be granted an extension. It will be met with contempt and the consequences shall be a failed class.
It is true, though, that a new challenge awaits you once you join college. The only wrong move you can possibly make is to back away because you have heard a few horrendous stories about campus life. Yes, college will be different but you should find excitement in figuring out just how much and exploring all the new experiences.
So, put on a smile and let’s do this. Also, remember to share the above revelations with all your friends. They will surely thank you for easing some of their nerves and shedding light to some of these myths.
Image Credit: Pixabay
helpful? … then please share it
- Multi-functions : 7 in 1, desk lamp with USB charging port, 256 color changing base, pencil holder, alarm clock, calendar, temperature and LCD screen,...
- USB Port: Output 5V/2A USB charging port,so you can spend less time to remain full electricity for your mobile device.(Iphone, samsung or power bank)
- Colorful light: Touch the spectrum ring to adjust 256 color changing base, create any variety of atmosphere at the night. If hold down the spectrum...
- 4 lighting modes, 5 level brightness
- USB charging port
- Natural light protects eyes
- 4 Lights Match Your Purpose: Choose between 4 unique lights with 5 custom levels of brightness for work, study, reading, or relaxing
- Convenient USB Charging: Recharge your devices via the built-in 5V/1A USB output; keep your smartphone or tablet within reach while charging
- Multi-Angle Adjustments for Optimized Lighting: Rotate the lamp arm up to 140° or swivel the base by 180° for a more direct illumination
- Comfortable, flicker-free and ghost-free lighting for reading/work/study; pleasant on the eyes, causes less fatigue
- Touch control with 5 color modes (temperature) to choose from, dimmable with 7 level of brightness to suit your activities
- Modern design that will naturally fit your desk / room / furniture; rotatable arm and lamp head, made from durable plastic and aluminum alloy
- 7 IN 1 ︱＊Combines a touch dimmable LED desk lamp with alarm clock, USB port, pencil storage, touch sensor colorful light, Fahrenheit temperature,...
- EYE-CARE︱＊LEDs have an eye-caring diffuser over them softens the light and prevents glare when reading book or working at your desk. The eye...
- USB PORTS︱＊Charging your phone, tablet and other devices lamp power is on using the 5V/2A USB charge port. Power the lamp by plugging a charge...
Last update on 2019-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API